WARN-ING

n. reading this blog may be hazardous to your complacency

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wack Arnolds



So, is it me or is McDonalds and Walmart getting too good at advertising to black people. Don’t get me wrong, I do think it is essential to create specific marketing tactics and advertisements for communities of color, but most of the commercials, if not all, are soo stereotypical. In fact, I think there is a BLACK CODE when it comes to advertising to African Americans, perhaps something to do with music, food, and family [reunions].







The thing is, McDonalds has always sought the guidance of outside media agencies, such as Burrell Communications, an African American owned Advertising agency, to target their African American consumers. So, in some way, the MAN is not to blame directly in this situation. Could it be that we are exploiting our own culture to make a profit on our own communities? I’ll answer YES!!! Look at Hip Hop. The problem with these commercials is their highly racialized and stereotypical campaigns that lure our communities in to ordering more big macs and fries. Super size that please!

Yes, Black people possibly eat more McDonalds, however, there is one on every other block in predominately African American communities, along with liquor stores, and churches (praise HIM). No Whole Foods in sight!

I just don’t know what to think of McDonalds with such sites as www.365black.com or their support in African American communities, honoring black individuals. Maybe they got me too, but something is just too McFishy!

McDonalds and Walmart are just doing too much too black!

What’s the reality?...can I get a big mac meal, no pickles and no onions, with lemonade. Oh and can I get that cinnabon thing yall have, oh and a yogurt parfait! Thank You!

1 comment:

Dre' Leon said...

it could be worse they could depict us in a negative light...

if you notice...the ppl in these vids look well off and together...

and i remember that chicken nugget commercial and thinking to myself "this doesn't make me want to eat chicken nuggets anymore than i did before...and this song is horrible wtf?!?"